المتابعون

الأربعاء، 25 فبراير 2015

English Grammar:: Connectives

Connectives:

They are used to join words, phrases, clauses and sentences:
- and:
I asked Ahmed to give me the pen and the book.
I have eaten a sandwich and drunk orange juice.
- but:
He can speak English but I don't know English.
I don't know him well but I will tell him.
- or:
You can go by bus or you can walk.
Do you like tea or coffee?
- both…… and:
Both Ali and are friends.
He speaks both English and Arabic.
- either ……..or:
Either Ali or Ahmed speaks English well.
I like either tea or coffee.
- neither……..nor:
He likes neither tea nor coffee.
He is neither an American nor French.
- not only…….,but also:
He is not only a rich man, but also he is a generous man.
Not only is he a rich man, but also he is a generous man.

However + adjective/adverb:
However beautiful she is, she has not got married yet.
However hard the exam is, Ali has got the full mark.

- Although:

Although the car was small, they all managed to get in.
Although he was ill, he came to attend the lecture.
- in spite of:
In spite of illness, he came to attend the lecture.
In spite of feeling tired, we decided to go out.
-while:
While I was walking, I met Ali.
- after:
After I had finished my work, I went to bed.

Grammar Exercises:

1. Either he or I ………….. on the right side.
(A) am (B) is (C) he (D) are
2……………. Of them are thieves.
(A) Neither (B) either (C) both (D) each
3. are you going to stay ………………. Leave.
(A) or (B) either (C) and
4. I played well ……………….. I lost the game
(A) and (B) but (C) or (D) yet
5. ………… my opinion, it is too expensive.
(A) from (B) in ( C) on (D) at
6. I found a strange man …………. My friends
(A) in (b) on (c) among (D) between
7. I was there …………………. 1998 and 2005.
(A) from (B) to (C) at (D) Between.
8. He had a scar ……………… his face
(A) In (B) on (C) at (D) to
9. The teacher sees ………………. as good students.
(A) we (B) our (C) us (D) ourselves
10. the car in blue is ………………….
(A) him (B) whose (C) my (D) mine
11. We usually tip the people who serve ……………
(A) we (B) our (C) us (D) ourselves
12. Any thing ……………….. I can do?
(A) other (B) next (C) else (D) another
13. While I ………………… ,I had a call.
(A) eat (B) ate (C) am eating (D) was eating
14. Have Ali arrived ………………..?
(A) yet (B) for (C) since (D) ago
15. People ………………drink pure water
(A) must (B) might (C) can (D) may
16. If Had come, I would ……………..him
(A) see (B) saw (C) have seen (D) seen
17. would you like ………….. bread.
(A) any (B) some (C) many (D) few
18. Ali …………lives in Dongola, is a teacher.
(A) whom (B) whose (C) who (D) he
19. He is fond ………….. playing tennis
(A) of (B) by (C) off (D) for
20. Do you like tea …….. coffee?
(A) either (B) nor (C) or (D) but

ليست هناك تعليقات: